Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:41:21 GMT
From:      Dan Odom <daniel@jimi.danodom.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple serial ports

Well, I've checked the handbook, if that's what you mean.  Most of
what it lists is out of production or non-intelligent and very
expensive (for example, the Digi 570/i cards that it lists cost a LOT
compared to more modern cards -- $528 for a 2-port, or about $265
per modem, while the Xem 32-port only costs about $1,300, or about
$40.00 per modem).  The Boca cards all say "does not support modems,"
my supplier has never heard of ARNET, AST, SDL, or Cyclades (and
neither have I -- isn't ARNET a large ISP and AST a manufacturer of
cheap PC clones?).  When I search the archives for information about
using Digiboards, all I find are comments about what a pain it is and
how nobody can figure it out.  Most generic multi-port serial cards
out there are plug and play, ruling them out for FreeBSD.

Speaking of plug and play, I am having an impossible time finding
hardware for my FreeBSD and BSDI boxes.  Nothing out there has jumpers
any more, not even network cards.  Where the heck does everyone find
supplies in this era of Windows NT?