Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 15:59:29 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        taob@io.org (Brian Tao), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A few other concerns from a FreeBSD ISP

In message <199601071054.VAA20347@genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au>you write:
>It's possible that the remote host is reusing an originating port number
>that is still recorded by the FreeBSD system as belonging to a connection
>in one of the closing wait states to that same host. I don't know what
>would happen here, it's possible that someone got their TCP state diagram
>confused.

I have always thought that this situation could only be attributed to one or
the other end not waiting for 2*MSL before deleting connection information.
In particular, if the source end cut its TIME_WAIT state short for some tcpcb,
that port number could get reused while the server end was still in TIME_WAIT
and thus completely ignoring all packets.

But I haven't yet gotten around to testing this theory; I can't say that I
recall seeing this problem, so it may also be load-related, etc.

  Bill