Date:      Sat, 24 Jun 2000 18:31:36 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        mvh@ix.netcom.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: softupdates mess in src/sys/ufs/ffs

On Thu, Jun 22, 2000 at 09:52:42AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> In article <20000622041129.02E19E6FEF@netcom1.netcom.com>,
> Mike Harding  <mvh@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> > I just did a 'cvsup' of 4.0-RELENG and the soft update links in
> > /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs got deleted.  Created them again, ran cvsup
> > again, and they got deleted again.  Anyone know what's going on?
>
> I just found out about this this morning.  There's a bit of a
> mess in that directory.  Somebody put the softupdates files into
> /home/ncvs/src/sys/ufs/ffs manually on June 21.  The files were
> damaged -- each one had two RELENG_3 tags pointing to different
> branches.  That caused cvsup-master's cvsup jobs to start dying
> prematurely.  (Yes, the dying should be considered a bug.)
>
> I deleted the offending files from src/sys/ufs/ffs just now.  Now
> here is what I think will happen to all of you.  On your next CVSup
> update, it will delete your softupdates files and/or symlinks in
> src/sys/ufs/ffs.  Let that go ahead and happen.  Then you should be
> able to create your symlinks again and have them remain untouched by
> CVSup thereafter.

Not quite, it doesn't delete symlinks. I had symlinks:

    # cd /usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs
    # ls -l

    [snip]

    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     39  6 Mar 20:34 ffs_softdep.c ->
    ../../contrib/softupdates/ffs_softdep.c

    [snip]

    lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel     35  6 Mar 20:34 softdep.h ->
    ../../contrib/softupdates/softdep.h

cvsup(1) didn't delete the symlinks, just the targets:

	  Delete src/sys/contrib/softupdates/ffs_softdep.c
	  Delete src/sys/contrib/softupdates/softdep.h

then I got:

     Cannot calculate checksum for "/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c": No such file or directory
Cannot calculate checksum for "/usr/src/sys/ufs/ffs/softdep.h": No such file or directory

Now the links were pointing to non-existent files so I rm(1)'d the
links and re-cvsup(1)'d which checked out the new files:

      Updating collection src-all/cvs
       Checkout src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c
       Checkout src/sys/ufs/ffs/softdep.h

So, if you have symlinks to contrib/softupdates then you will have to
manually rm(1) them. I guess that if you do this prior to running
cvsup(1) for the first time it will update your system correctly
without the need to run cvsup(1) twice.

> Please don't anybody try to move softupdates into that directory
> again without talking to me first.
>
> John
> --
>   John Polstra                                               jdp@polstra.com
>   John D. Polstra & Co., Inc.                        Seattle, Washington USA
>   "Disappointment is a good sign of basic intelligence."  -- Chögyam Trungpa

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?