Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 22:29:25 +0100
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sizing advice

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 13:07 -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> I've been using CVSup to track various source trees (mostly
> RELENG_2 and RELENG_3) for several years now.  But I'm ready to
> try to track the repository and cut my own releases.
>
> Could someone kindly discuss how much disk space I should set
> aside to hold the repository?  And how much space it takes to
> build a release?

The repo has some 1.2 GB here, so 2GB of a partition should
suffice (and maybe you want to play with noatime and other mount
options, as well as all the other hints from the lists regarding
separate disks for /usr/src and /usr/obj apply).  See some stats
on the FreeBSD and OpenBSD repo below.

----- snip ------------------------------------------------------
[root@organ] (530) ~ # du -s /home/?cvs
1184662 /home/fcvs
994926  /home/ocvs
[root@organ] (531) ~ # ll /home/?cvs
/home/fcvs:
total 6
drwxrwxr-x   5 root  wheel  1536 Nov  8 18:24 CVSROOT/
drwxrwxr-x  22 root  wheel   512 Oct 31 14:26 doc/
drwxrwxr-x  56 root  wheel  1536 Nov  8 19:54 ports/
drwxrwxr-x  24 root  wheel  1024 Nov  8 19:13 src/

/home/ocvs:
total 7
drwxrwxr-x   4 root  wheel  1024 Nov  8 18:36 CVSROOT/
drwxrwxr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Nov  7 19:13 X11/
drwxrwxr-x  38 root  wheel  1024 Nov  7 19:24 ports/
drwxrwxr-x  18 root  wheel   512 Nov  7 19:31 src/
drwxrwxr-x  25 root  wheel  3072 Nov  8 18:49 www/
[root@organ] (532) ~ #
----- snap ------------------------------------------------------

Turning from cvsupping to keeping a local CVS repo should be as
easy as editing "release=cvs" into your cvsup config, unless I'm
missing something here.  One GB of space should not hurt with
today's disk sizes.  For this little change you will get the
advantage of fast (since local) research in the logs or exporting
or updating to previous dates and milestones in case -STABLE
turns out to have a little jitter as happened sometimes and will
happen every now and then.

All of this will pay a few times really soon even if you won't
build releases.  Plus it will keep your local changes
(enhancements, early / private "MFC" before it happens in the
repo, patches you want but which don't exist even in -CURRENT,
etc) and merge them with what happens in the repo.  I fail to see
the downside.  :>  I even dare to say that all the serious
-STABLE trackers should have their local CVS repo around -- for
their own sake and advantage!

To build a release you need space for compiling the world (and
packages?  I'm not sure) and cutting the image.  Although I never
did this, I remember a discussion somewhere on the list.  Let's
see <goes digging in the private archive> ...