Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:07:01 -0700
From:      Alan Batie <batie@agora.rdrop.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: login classes

> From: David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
> Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:45:27 +1100
> Subject: Re: login classes
>
> Samba I have no experience with whatsoever. Perhaps it is a special
> case that needs some attention by whoever integrated it into
> FreeBSD.
>
> Which *specific* limits are you running into problems with?

In my case, it's the # of processes limit, and it's always with programs
that change uids --- the issue is that when they change to my uid, they
don't pick up my resource limits and what they had before was too limited
for the new environment, and thus they're not allowed to fork.  I'm inclined
to believe that either they should pick up the new resource limits
automatically, without having to call setusercontext(), or they should
remain counted as the original user for the purposes of resource limit
checking.  I think the latter would be a lot harder to do, and I think the
former is better, but arguments could be made either way.

--
Alan Batie                   ______      It's not my fault!  It's some guy
batie@agora.rdrop.com        \    /      named "General Protection"!

It is my policy to avoid purchase of any products from companies which
use unrequested email advertisements or telephone solicitation.