Date:      Mon, 9 Jun 2003 00:19:01 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <andrew@ugh.net.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ugen example

Hi,

I'm just having a look at ugen, trying to see if I can get any action out
of a USB-serial converter that has no existing driver. This is my first
foray into the USB world so I apologise for any stupid questions...is
there a good tutorial somewhere?

To find my device I open /dev/ugen? and call ioctl(USB_GET_DEVICE_DESC). I
look at the returned idVendor and idProduct and check them against my hard
coded figures. From what I can see from usbdevs only the last 2 bytes are
significant? usbdevs produces 0x0743 for the vendor but I get 0x20743.

When I work out what end point I need to talk to I thought opened
/dev/ugen?.? but I only have a /dev/ugen? device (I'm using -CURRENT and
devfs). I'm guessing I'm on the track here so I wouldn't mind a pointer to
an example or some documentation.

Thanks for any help,

Andrew