Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:44:11 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 27,  5:29pm, David Kelly wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> Josef Grosch writes:
> > When I lived in northern Minnesota, around Ely and Duluth, I drove a truck
> > that had the very large dent in the side where a full grown male moose had
> > rammed it. This moose took offense to me being in his territory and chased
> > me. The only think that save me from being trampled was my truck. A moose
> > is not an animal to be trifled with, especially so during the rut.
>
> Boy! Its a good thing that moose didn't have one of those guns some seem
> to think there are too many of. In the fit of rage that moose might have
> hurt somebody, if only he had a gun.
>
> I counter there are too many computers. They are too cheap. Any damn
> fool can buy one and find instructions on how to wreck havoc with it.
> Doesn't even require a license.
>
> All sarcasm aside, neither a gun, computer, high powered automobile, (I
> own a number of each), or alcohol are the causes of certain societal
> ills. Some people just have problems and happen to use high powered
> tools to exercise that problem. The tool doesn't cause the problem. If
> one tool is scarce, another will be found. Or invented.
>
> My biggest frustration is when I observe government, doctors, corporate
> management, educators, etc., treat the symptoms of a problem rather
> than search for the problem itself. Gun control only treats the
> symptoms, not the problem itself.
>
> I think firearms ought to be taught in school, along with sex education,
> and driver education. After school hours I fired more rounds with my Dad
> while in elementary school and high school than I've fired in the past
> 20 years. I grew up with a respect for firearms that my non-shooting
> schoolmates have demonstrated they lack. It wasn't terribly uncommon for
> one to swear at a car who had just cut them sort, "If I had a gun I'd
> blow him away!" Don't know of any schoolmates who have aquired a gun
> and "blown somebody away", but such a thought was almost unimaginable
> to me. And would be to anybody who had firearms training from my Dad.

Funny thing about all of this is that in my original post I mentioned nothing
about gun control.  Those words were put in my mouth by someone else who wanted
to read something into my post that may or may not have been there.  I took no
stand on that issue one way or the other.

However, I happen to agree with you that it is not the gun that kills, it is
the idiot that can't exercise self control or good judgement that is the
killer.  I am talking personal responsibility here.  I too grew up with guns
and would not consider useing it on another human being, except in some rather
exceptional conditions.  You were fortunate enough to be brought up in a
caring, loving home and were taught personal responsibility, respect for other
people and firearms.

I have no problem with the right to bear arms.  The rub is who has them are
what type of weapon they are carrying.  Certain types of weapons are
specifically designed to kill humans and are useless for any other purpose.
 Assault rifles and big bore automatic hand guns all are in that category

I too have very extensive weapons training, both as a civilian and in the
military.  I also have extensive experience with the result of the use of these
weapons during heavy combat in Vietnam.  So to convince me that these types of
weapons belong in the hands of the general population; well you better bring
your jug and your lunch because you have an all day job a head of you.

Frank