Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 01:05:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc van Woerkom <marc@netcologne.de>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        van.woerkom@netcologne.de, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ES1371 - SB PCI 128

Hello Warner!

> Which has a part number kinda close to the AKM4540 that you talk
> about.

Just for the records - for my (original) Audio PCI I get this:

oranje# pciconf -l
es1@pci0:15:0:	class=0x040100 card=0x4c4c4942 chip=0x50001274 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
                                               device ddddvvvv vendor

I've got a Linux patch here (2.0.34-modular-3.patch) that contains
a driver for the Ensoniq AudioPCI97 card by Thomas Sailer.
It checks for chip = 0x1371 1274.

What setting for 'chip' do you see?

> What kind of timeframe are we looking at?  I'm wondering if I should
> take the card back and get something else, or if I can wait until,
> say, new years, and have driver support.

We have:
  - a FreeBSD-current driver for the ES1370 by Joachim Kuebart that
    works quite well and fits into Luigi Rizzo's driver framework
  - specs for the ES1371
  - AK97 specs (at the Intel Site)
  - at least one Linux driver that supports the ES1371

Now you have to decide:
- If you want to do it yourself, I'll make the above stuff available
  to you.
- If you can assist with some testruns, I'll prepare an experimental
  ES1371 driver for you (neither Joachim nor I have this card)
- You can wait for some other volunteer
- You can return the card

Regards,
Marc