Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 01:17:15 +0100
From:      "H. Eckert" <ripley@nostromo.in-berlin.de>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about lo0

Quoting Mauricio Westendorff Pegoraro (mwp@pucrs.br):
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
>

> My question is: why  the lo0 interface wasn't configured when the
> system started?  It was a problem (bug) when freebsd tryied to
> configure lo0? Or, by default, freebsd doesn't 'autoconfigure' lo0?

By default, lo0 is configured from within /etc/rc.conf as shown in
/etc/defaults/rc.conf:

network_interfaces="auto"	# List of network interfaces (or "auto").
ifconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"	# default loopback device configuration.

It could be that the way you set up you network interface resulted
in network_interfaces being set but lo0 missing from the list.

> last couple years I've been working only with Solaris, AIX and Linux).

Don't worry.  I set up Sol7 on my other machine and haven't
even figured out why the darned thing complained about my NIC
being on IRQ10 (which it probed correctly) and how to get it
on my LAN.  X11 performance felt like the 486/50 machine I had
as a server and some ways I felt thrown back into the stone ages.
Not to mention that it couldn't deal with the 16gig drive...

Greetings,
				Ripley
--
H. Eckert, 10777 Berlin, Germany, http://www.in-berlin.de/User/nostromo/
ISO 8859-1: Ä=Ae, Ö=Oe, Ü=Ue, ä=ae, ö=oe, ü=ue, ß=sz.