Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:07:54 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        danny@panda.hilink.com.au (Daniel O'Callaghan)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, eivind@dimaga.com, giles@nemeton.com.au, avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au, jehamby@lightside.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot messages (Was: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?)

Daniel O'Callaghan stands accused of saying:

> Seems to me that the most logical and expedient thing to so is to put a
> little more text into the "boot: " message.

There really isn't room for this.

>  Something like  "boot -t for text-mode boot".

In an environment where the splash is likely to be useful, the '-v'
output is a viable alternative.  The splash code (now) doesn't display
the splash if the bootverbose (-v) flag is set.

> The other idea which was tossed about some
> months ago was to skip the splash screen if the image file (/splash.tiff) is
> not located in /, which makes it very easy to turn splash on/off for the
> next boot.

That's no good, as was mentioned back then; the root filesystem isn't
available early enough.  Bruce's new readfile() stiff OTOH is ideal for
this, and I'm looking at what can be done in this regard.