Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 21:16:43 GMT
From:      freebsd@kempston.demon.co.uk (Mike Mann)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE : Copying DOS files to UNIX

On Sun, 1 Mar 1998 13:32:41 -0500, MALCOLM BOFF
<Malcolm_Boff@compuserve.com> wrote:

>To mount the DOS partition you need a mountpoint (I created a directory
>/dos) then issue the following command :-

>mount -t msdos /dev/sd0s1 /dos

Except that, on my system, attempting to mount two of my three DOS
partitions results in:

"mountmsdosfs(): Warning: root directory is not a multiple of the
clustersize in length"

and "man mount_msdos" reports that, after this warning message:

"it is possible that writing to the MS-DOS filesystem would produce
corruption on the disc"

which is rather worrying.  My third DOS partition mounts successfully
without this warning.

Can anyone advise if there's anything I can do to the root directory
on the DOS partitions to avoid this warning and the potential for
corruption?   Or any other workaround?

I presume that mounting read only is safe.

Regards, Mike.

--
Home: freebsd@kempston.demon.co.uk