Date:      Thu, 3 Jul 1997 01:16:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        "Andrew K. Adams" <akadams@wraith.psc.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   TrueTime GPS...

Andrew K. Adams writes:
 > I would like to attach a GPS to a FreeBSD box (for network
 > synchronization) and would be very appreciative of any information
 > anyone can offer.  I am currently looking at a model manufactured by
 > TrueTime (XL-DC 600), since it (and my PC) is rack-mountable and it
 > provides a serial port for communication -- I am unsure if the latter
 > is useful with FreeBSD.

Chances are pretty good it is a NMEA-0183 port, which uses RS-422
signalling levels.  You should be able to plug it into a PC serial port,
unless you have really bad hardware.

You'll have to contact the manufacturer for information on the protocol
they use.  There is *some* standardization in this area, but I wouldn't
count on your software working with it.  Most manufacturers are pretty
good about releasing protocol specs, though I've never heard of
TrueTime.

(I'm known as Barnacle Wes in another, *much* slower dimension.  ;^)