Date:      Thu, 31 May 2007 11:27:17 +0200
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        Alexander <freebsd@nagilum.org>, freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: xorg7.2 update

Hans Nieser wrote:
> Alexander wrote:
>> ----- Message from kris@obsecurity.org ---------
>>     Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 02:55:40 -0400
>>     From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
>>  Subject: Re: xorg7.2 update
>>       To: Alexander <freebsd@nagilum.org>
>>       Cc: freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org

>>> No, mergebase does this.
>> Ah! I did not use that since UPDATING only speaks about merging
>> /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local which I had already done manually. Changes in
>> /etc/rc.conf, /etc/periodic.conf and /etc/manpath.config where not
>> mentioned so I did not bother running the script. It may be a good idea
>> to add another sentence about that to UPDATING. I'd bet I'm not only one
>> stumbling over that.
>
> I did exactly the same as you did. Did not realise this was going on until
> now. Thanks for bringing this up!

Actually, is mergebase even the right place to do this? On ony of my
servers I only had xorg-libraries installed (which I suspect was brought
in as a dependency of a PHP image processing module) and as such I didn't
follow any of the Xorg 7.2 update instructions. Yet, /usr/X11R6 was
apparently automatically symlinked to /usr/local anyway. If I hadn't read
this I would never had known.

Some more transparency about what is actually is going on with this Xorg
upgrade in UPDATING wouldn't have hurt (because dispite not following the
instructions in UPDATING for stuff I don't have installed, I do usually
scan through eveyr new entry I see, just in case).