Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 01:39:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Archive pruning - some #s

Hi,

   I've been idly watching this thread and decided to check
a few numbers.... Is it truly worth pruning?

   I mirror the freebsd repository, mail archives, and
www site locally:

    size 1.9Gig.
    time 4:48min    about 2/5 gig per minute

   ie: it takes about 5 minutes for the update to run. Most of that
       time is due to the mediocre link I live behind.

   Internally, we maintain a CVS repository which we use cvsup to
backup (100T x-over direct between machines).

    size 57Gig   (no, that isn't a typo).
    time 41:36      about 1.3 gig per minute

   In the above case, the network is not the bottle-neck. We simply
can't read the data off the disk(s) fast enough (currently a
dpt raid, moving to amr with more than twice the performance).

   I guess I don't see why it's worth pruning. The network connection
in my case seems to be the bigger problem. Pruning the tree isn't
going to buy me anything. And, we lose information...

   Comments?

Later,
John