Date:      Fri, 7 Dec 2001 17:00:08 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Ilmar S. Habibulin" <ilmar@watson.org>
Cc:        freebsd-i18n@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i18n sample patch

hi,

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:22:10AM -0500, Ilmar S. Habibulin wrote:

> > I'd rather prefer to use libintl instead of catget*() for these purposes.
> > I am now thinking about importing libintl developed by Citrus project,
> > currently imported to NetBSD. If you've some time please take a look
> > in this area.
> Well, if you mean the use of gettext()-style functions, then imho it's
> simple to change patches to use it. catget*() are POSIX functions. So i
> choose them. If gettext() can become standard, or can be included in
> most BSD systems, then using of gettext() makes sense.

NetBSD already uses own libintl for some time. It utilized for
base system tools (like grep) and some pkgsrc applications.
I also would prefer to see it imported in FreeBSD and update
base tools to support it.

My preference to use gettext() was born after attempt to convert some
tools to use it (same as you did in your patch), but complexity of
code required to add for each application as well as complexity of
translation database maintaince stoped my effort and forced me to look
to libintl.

> The idea of i18n is the same, patch will be smaller. If anybody is
> interested, i'll remake it for libintl.

Would be cool!