Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 1996 17:29:33 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        info@adn.edu.ph
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: trouble for process to be terminated

> 	What's the last resort besides rebooting after killing a process
> that still lives but is trying to exit?

Are you referring to a "zombie" process - one where a child process
exits before its parent and the parent doesn't clean up after it
properly (by calling wait())?

It's not as bad as it seems, as the process has actually exited,
releasing all the memory it was using and closing any files it had
open, etc. All it's taking up is an entry in the process table. On the
other hand, it effectively reduces the number of processes you can run
by one, and makes the ps output look untidy.

This is usually the result of a programming mistake - or the parent
may be blocking on a resource which never becomes available. Perhaps
if you can post some details about which program causes the problem,
and how it happens, we may be able to give a more helpful answer.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk