Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 21:14:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org, assar@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: PAM/SSH and KerberosIV?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> I don't know.  I do not have the capacity to test Kerberos without going
> through the trouble of setting it up for only myself only on my own
> computer, which would be an exercise in utterly profound useless effort.
> So, anyone who does it, let me know if it works for you and how.

If you need to test your code in an existing kerberos realm, remember that
both FreeBSD.org and watson.org use kerberos, and it would be easy to
arrange for a principal for one of your hosts.

I ran through the tests, and the following occurs: without the
pam_kerberosIV.so entry in /etc/pam.conf, you cannot log in using
kerberos.  I've committed a commented out pam_kerberosIV.so entry for sshd
to match the others in pam.conf in -CURRENT.  I'll MFC to -STABLE sometime
soon if there are no complaints.  This appears to remedy the failure of
Kerberos passwords to work, which is not unexpected :-).

However, this seems to have broken using unique kerberos ticket filenames
for each session -- now it always uses /tmp/tkt1000 for uid 1000, rather
than /tmp/tkt1000_randomnumber, meaning that if you log in twice, the
first logout hoses the tickets for the second session.  This didn't happen
previously, and is probably an issue with pam_kerberosIV.so that I didn't
run into previously since I always logged in via SSH.  It's probably not a
security hole as presumably KTH does the right thing with regards to
O_EXCL and so on, but it's not ideal.

> BTW, you ever test the make-ssh-use-/dev/tty-to-ask-for-OTP patch?

Nope, need to do that.  I'll apply it on my local tree tonight and
hopefully get a chance to test it this weekend or Monday.

BTW, at one point I think you committed some fixes relating to SSH
sessions crashing (I think it was the tunnel closing bug?); were those
from the base OpenSSH tree, or should we be submitting them back to the
openssh-unix-dev mailing list?