Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:10:06 -0800
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        charon@seektruth.org
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>, Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Spontanious reboots

--==_Exmh_593618768P

> On Thursday 14 February 2002 11:43 am, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 05:35:27PM +0000, Baldur Gislason wrote:
> > > This box has been spontaniously rebooting for a while, we've replaced
> > > most of the hardware
> >
> > What hardware have you not tested/replaced?  Consider doing so :)
>
> There have been a lot of people reporting things like this (including me)
> recently on various lists.  I don't have the option of trying to replace
> hardware, but I ran memtest and didn't find any errors.  Would it be common
> for a system that has been running for 6 days (as both ours were) to suddenly
> overheat without a fan breaking?

Hmmm. I've got an overclocked dual PPro box that's been running like a rock
since 3.0-CURRENT.

I upgraded it to October-ish 4.4-STABLE after not touching it for a long time,
and since then it's taken to rebooting itself anything from once every
two-three weeks to twice a day, whereas before it ran for weeks or months
between source upgrades reinstalls, happily building world every week.

I _had_ figured (Occam's Razor and all that) that it just got old and/or
damaged (a PSU fan failed too, some time ago, and it got pretty hot inside).

Now I'm wondering about throwing a older -RELEASE version onto the secondary
drive from CD and seeing if this changes anything...

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_593618768P

--==_Exmh_593618768P--