Date:      Thu, 19 May 2005 21:40:48 -0400
From:      Stephan Uphoff <ups@tree.com>
To:        pallen@donut.ugcs.caltech.edu
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of kern/79700, nfs lockups

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:00, pallen@donut.ugcs.caltech.edu wrote:
> I notice that this pr hasn't gotten any attention.
> "Suspending process that is actively writing to a file on an
> nfs mount causes future access to that file by other
> processes to hang until the first process is resumed."
>
> I didn't care much before, but recently I've started having
> enough load on my machines to see this problem as well (and
> routinely... i.e., not synthetically).
>
> Is this something I should expect to live with for a while?
>
>     -Paul

Are you sure that kern/79700 describes your problem?
( I don't see how higher load is related to the problem)
If it does - mounting the file systems without the "intr" option would
be the workaround since it prevents suspension of the threads inside the
NFS file system. (More technical details in my answer to kern/79700)

Stephan