Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 15:18:55 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [PORTS] Pgaccess doesn't run on -current anymore, Update

My 0.2c

[ cc'd to -database. I suspect this is probably better in -chat, and have
  set reply-to accordingly ]

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 06:22:58PM +0200, Wolfram Schneider wrote:
> The current usage of the thread database is very low. My impression is
> that the average user don't want mail threads. There are ~2000 search
> requests and 3000 requests to read a mail (getmsg.cgi) per day. In an
> early version of the thread database there where only clickable
> Message-ID's and In-Reply-to links. Only 2-3% of the users followed
> the links. I changed the getmsg.cgi script and added a 'Next in
> thread' and 'Previous in thread' knob. The thread usage grow up to
> 12-14%. This is still low. Only every 8th user want to read the
> 'parent' mail or the replies.

I like threading. A thread *tree* (not just 'next in thread', 'previous
in thread' functionality) would let me quickly see which messages prompted
lots of replies, which particular thread branch degenerated into a 'Nate v.
Terry back-and-forth' argument and so on.

It also lets me pull up the thread tree in one Netscape window, and middle
click the message links to pull up particular messages in separate windows,
which is very handy for browsing the lists.

A "Show me all new threads that have started in -hackers in the last 3
days" knob could be quite useful as well. As would a "Here's my e-mail
address, please re-mail this thread to me so I can manipulate it in my
local e-mail client" (although spamming considerations may mitigate
against it).

While I'm 'wishlisting without implementing' (RSI is starting to get
better, but I have a few more weeks before I can do anything useful) an
option to "Restrict search to messages which start threads" would be handy,
since it's quite easy to generate lots of hits from messages all in the
same thread if the search terms matched the subject of the message.

*DON'T DO THIS*.  It is *BAD* engineering.  *BAD* engineers
*DESERVE* to be unemployed, living under park benches, and
feeding off of slow moving pigeons.
  -- Terry Lambert, in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc