Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 1996 12:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel Panic Porting tcl74

I typed "make" in the tcl74 directory with the Makefile (not make install)
(using the link farm to the cdrom for ports created with lndir) and the
kernel panicked:

Script started on Sun Jun 30 12:11:17 1996
andrsn: {1} gdb -k kernel.0 vmcore.0
[snip]
GDB 4.13 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1994 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
IdlePTD 1d6000
current pcb at 1aeb3c
panic: unwire: page not in pmap
#0  0xf017eceb in boot ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xf017eceb in boot ()
#1  0xf0117335 in panic ()
#2  0xf016f052 in vm_fault_unwire ()
#3  0xf01714d9 in vm_map_pageable ()
#4  0xf016fd88 in swapout ()
#5  0xf016fcbd in swapout_threads ()
#6  0xf01781f4 in vm_daemon ()
#7  0xf010a299 in main ()
(kgdb) quit
andrsn: {2} exit
Script done on Sun Jun 30 12:11:54 1996

The system is FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE as of April 28.

I'm wondering what went wrong here--I'm assuming the same thing would
have happened if I'd done "make install" instead of just "make."  I
don't know enough about kgdb to figure out what happened and the
kernel wasn't compiled with the -g option.

Annelise