Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2000 22:21:58 -0800
From:      "Jonathan Graehl" <jonathan@graehl.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make installworld still fails

I have succesfully remade world/kernel a few times prior (after
discovering that I need to go single user or lower my
kernel.securelevel, the latter not really being mentioned in docs), used
mergemaster, etc., followed all directions scrupulously.  Since around
4.2 release, I haven't been able to do a make installworld (or make
world).  I have cvsuped a few times with the same result.  The error
message given is always the same.  I booted with "boot -s" this morning
and got the exact same result, log shown below.

What I have done, which seems to install just about everything, is "make
install" from /usr/src after make installworld fails.
rebuilding/installing kernel and make buildworld go without a hitch.
My kernel config is mostly ordinary, although I only build for 686
(pentium 2).

I did look at the files referenced by the command line shown and didn't
have the patience to track down all the included makefile stuff, but I
did poke around and didn't find anything amiss.

Also, is there some way of automatically checking whether a cvsup has
updated ports I have installed?

Thanks,
Jon

/usr/src# make installworld
mkdir -p /tmp/install.45600
for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep
install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysc
tl  test true uname wc zic; do  cp `which $prog` /tmp/install.45600;
done
cd /usr/src; MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/usr/obj
COMPILER_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/us
r/bin  LIBRA
RY_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/lib
OBJFORMAT_PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libexec  PERL5
LIB=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503
PATH=/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/sbin:/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin:/usr/o
bj/usr/src/i386/usr/games:/tmp/install.45600 make -f Makefile.inc1
reinstall
make: permission denied
*** Error code 126

Stop in /usr/src.