Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 23:43:21 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   New to FreeBSD but not to Linux?

Hi folks,

Is there anyone in the audience who is new to FreeBSD but not new to
Linux?

One of the things missing in the documentation set is a "FreeBSD
for the Linux user" document, which covers things that might confuse
the average Linux user when moving to FreeBSD.

Things like (off the top of my head)

  * The default user shell is not bash.

  * System configuration is mostly through /etc/rc.local

  * Why /etc/rc.d doesn't exist, but why /usr/local/etc/rc.d does.

and probably lots more (it's been ages since I last used a Linux system)

Would anyone here be able to help out with this? Don't worry if you
don't know SGML and how the Documentation Project manages text, I'm
happy to do that bit myself (and/or talk you through how to do it). Right
now it'd just be great to get some content.

Any takers? The more the merrier.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?