Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:05:16 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        pirat sriyotha <pirat@center.oaep.go.th>, David Knapp <dknapp@luciamar.k12.ca.us>
Cc:        "newbies@FreeBSD.ORG" <newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Difference between Linux and FreeBSD

A little oversimplified, Pirat, but basically correct.  To be a little
wordier: "FreeBSD can be used by anyone and modified by anyone, without
having to redistribute the source code to whoever requests it."  That's the
sense in which it's free, and it's a real sense - it's literally free for
the taking and using by anyone who pleases, without charge and without
restrictive license requirements.

If you buy FreeBSD on CDROM from CDROM.COM, it's more expensive than many
of the Linux distributions.  Of course, you can download it instead if you
have the time and patience, or borrow a CDROM from a friend.  There are
also other companies that redistribute it on CDROM for less than what
CDROM.COM charges, I believe.

Now, you didn't really point the guy to a FAQ or any documentation, other
than your own one-liner :-)... David, try http://www.freebsd.org as a
starting point, and read the FAQ and handbook, and follow some of the
links.  I think you'll find what you're looking for via that route.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.