Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2004 13:38:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Bejtlich <richard_bejtlich@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interface bonding

Hello,

On 9 Jan 04 I posted a method for bonding interfaces
using netgraph for purposes of sniffing tap outputs as
a single virtual interface.  Unfortunately, the method
I posted creates two copies of every packet.

I have used the following to successfully collect only
one copy of packets sent from the two TX streams of a
network tap:

#!/bin/sh
# sf2 and sf3 are real interfaces which receive tap
# outputs; ngeth0 is created by ngctl

# ng_ether must be loaded so netgraph can "see" the
# real interfaces sf2 and sf3
kldload ng_ether

# bring up the real interfaces
ifconfig sf2 promisc -arp up
ifconfig sf3 promisc -arp up

# create ngeth0 and bind sf2 and sf3 to it
ngctl mkpeer . eiface hook ether
ngctl mkpeer ngeth0: one2many lower one
ngctl connect sf2: ngeth0:lower lower many0
ngctl connect sf3: ngeth0:lower lower many1

# bring up ngeth0 for sniffing duties
ifconfig ngeth0 -arp up

--

Sorry for the confusion earlier.  I appreciate any
comments on how to improve this method.  Please check

Sincerely,

Richard Bejtlich
http://www.taosecurity.com