Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 16:26:30 +1000
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        Barry Masterson <jbarrm@panix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree86-3.3, FBSD-2.2.2 & ViRGE/VX

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 01:50:41AM -0400, Barry Masterson wrote:
>I seem to remember reading on the -questions mailing list that
>XFree86-3.3 was not fully supported on the FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
>system.

XFree86 3.3 is fully supported on FreeBSD 2.2.2-R.  I do 90% of my
XFree86 development work on machines running 2.2.2 and 2.1.7, with
the remaining 10% split between FreeBSD current, Linux and SVR4.

>I'm running FreeBSD 2.2.2-R on a ASUS P55T2P4, with a Adaptec
>2940AU. THe graphics card is a #9 9FX Reality 772 (ViRGE/VX).
>
>I built XFree86-3.3 (from the source code) because it offers
>better support for the ViRGE/VX chipset.
>
>My question is, Is there anything specific to FreeBSD 2.2.2-R
>that needs to be changed to best run XFree86-3.3; such as
>something from the FreeBSD-current source?  Or, I should ask,
>is there something about 2.2.2-R that might cause the situation
>described below.

No.  The situation you are describing almost certainly has nothing to
do with the OS.

>The reason I'm asking, is that while 3.3 runs fine on this system,
>the XF86_SVGA server fails to restart after the first 'startx'
>session is closed on a freshly booted system. (running startx
>a second time results on a frozen keyboard and a blank screen).
>
>The author of XF86_S3V & XF86_SVGA is aware of this problem. They
>supplied me with the patches to fix it, but after applying them,
>and rebuilding, the 'no second restart' problem is still present.
>(The XF86_SVGA author can't reproduce the lockup on the patched
>3.3.1 server)

The main XFree86 S3 ViRGE developers are running Linux and OS/2(!).
The reason they can't reproduce the problem you are seeing is more
likely that they are using a different ViRGE card to the one you are
using.

Are you absolutely certain that you've been testing the patched version?
I hate to ask that, but it wouldn't be the first time someone has reported
a fix not working because they were still running the older version
without realising it.

David