Date:      Sun, 26 Oct 2003 17:09:37 -0600
From:      Alan Cox <alc@cs.rice.edu>
To:        Q <q@onthenet.com.au>, hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: Some mmap observations compared to Linux 2.6/OpenBSD]

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 01:34:01PM +1000, Q wrote:
> It has been suggested that I should direct this question to the VM
> system guru's. Your comments on this would be appreciated.

An address space is represented by a data structure that we call a
vm_map.  A vm_map is, in the abstact, an ordered collection of in-use
address ranges.

FreeBSD 4.x implements the vm_map as a doubly-linked list of address
ranges with a hint pointing to the last accessed entry.  Thus, if the
hint fails, the expected time to lookup an in-use address is O(n).
FreeBSD 5.x overlays a balanced binary search tree over this
structure.  This accelerates the lookup to an (amortized) O(log n).
In fact, for the kind of balanced binary search tree that we use, the
last accessed entry is at the root of the tree.  Thus, any locality in
the pattern of lookups will produce even better results.

Linux and OpenBSD are similar to FreeBSD 5.x.  The differences lie in
the details, like the kind of balanced binary tree that is used.

That said, having a balanced binary tree to represent the address
space does NOT inherently make finding unallocated space any faster.
Instead, OpenBSD augments an address space entry with extra
information to speed up this process:

struct vm_map_entry {
	vaddr_t		ownspace;	/* free space after */
	vaddr_t		space;		/* space in subtree */

The same could be done in FreeBSD, and you don't need a red-black tree
in order to do it.

If someone, especially a junior kernel hacker with a commit bit, is
serious about trying this, I'll gladly mentor them.  Recognize,
however, that this approach may produce great results for a
microbenchmark, but pessimize other more interesting workloads,
like say, "buildworld", making it a poor choice.  Nonetheless, I think
we should strive to get better results in this area.

Regards,
Alan