Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 09:12:00 -0500
From:      Craig Boston <craig@gjgth.gank.org>
To:        sjh@ucf.ics.uci.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any matrox users?

Seth Hettich wrote:

>I'd be interested to know if any other -current users with a
>G200 AGP are having problems.

Not a G200, but I have a G400 AGP in my system along with a 3DLabs
Permedia 2 (PCI, glint driver) and a NVidia Riva 128 (PCI, nv).  This is
on a -current system supped right before the gcc 3.1 import with XF4.2.

The Matrox provided (mga) driver works fine for me with both multi-head
and Xinerama.  I'm currently using old-school multihead since Xinerama
seems to slow it down a little bit (purely perceptive measurements here,
I have no scientific evidence one way or the other).

I was using DRI for a while, but had to turn it off due to being a bit
unstable.  3D acceleration worked for me, but after a while (usually
within a day or 2), X would just lock completely.  No number lock, no
switching virtual terminals, nothing.  The machine was still up -- I
could ssh in -- but the console was totally unusable until I rebooted.
 I'm not sure if it's a driver problem or simply bad cooling on the card
(I had to, uh, MacGuyver the heatsink into staying on :).  Haven't had a
problem since I disabled DRI.

Craig