Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:42:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Kenneth P. Stox" <stox@imagescape.com>
To:        Brandon Fosdick <bfoz@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Orinoco MiniPCI

On 24-Apr-01 Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> A search of the archives revealed that PCI adapters for orinoco cards
> don't work yet. So I guess there's no hope of getting the MiniPCI card
> working either?
>
> Does it work in -current?

There may be hope, if you're interested, I just spent a bit of time this weekend
getting the Netgear MA-301 working. ( The MA-301 is a PLX based PCI bridge that
an MA-401 PC card is inserted into ). All that I needed to do was change the
following defines in src/sys/dev/wi/if_wireg.h:

#define WI_PCI_VENDOR_EUMITCOM          0x1638
#define WI_PCI_DEVICE_PRISM2STA         0x1100

#define WI_PCI_VENDOR_EUMITCOM          0x1385
#define WI_PCI_DEVICE_PRISM2STA         0x4100

Admittedly, I have no clue what I'm doing, as I have never even looked at a
data sheet for these critters, but, so far, it appears to work fine. ;-) If the
MiniPCI card is based on the PLX, similar modifications may be all you need.
If it is PLX based, boot with the verbose option and find the vendor and device
codes for it. Season the above defines to taste, and voila! Once we have a clue
as to the cards now coming onto the market, iterating through the various vendor
and device codes in the wi driver should be pretty trivial.

BTW, the MA-401 is a Prism2 based card, and works out of box on -current in a
PC card slot. Sure beats running 300' of CAT5 into the backyard!

My most humble thanks to Bill Paul for writing the wi driver and to all those
who have maintained to it.

E-Mail: Kenneth P. Stox <stox@imagescape.com>