Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 11:58:52 -0700
From:      Edward Baichtal <edwardb@AirLink.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   3COM 3C589C & PS/2 Mouse

A couple of questions.. First off this is all on a Dell Latitude XP (4100CX).  When first configuring the system, I made sure to choose psm0 and zp0 drivers in the kernel.  I left them at their default parameters, and the network card, 3Com Etherlink III 3C589C worked just fine.  Connected to the FTP site and got everything ok.

In the setup process, I tried to configure XFree86, and it hung because my mouse wouldn't move and keyboard commands didn't respond.  I rebooted, the partitions were cleaned, and then I got the message "ifconfig: interface zp0 does not exist" on boot up.  I noticed the network is configured correctly, but it lost how to contact the network card.  How do I fix that?  The driver still loads in the kernel, btw.

Next part, is how (if at all) can I make the PS/2 trackball on the laptop operate correctly?  I noticed it conflicts at 0x60 with the syscons driver, and once I removed the syscons driver and realized quickly that was not an option.  I tried other I/O addresses for the PS/2 mouse (I did not change the irq because I know irq 12 is valid from checking it with a Win95 install, though no I/O address is listed as being used in Resources in Win95.) and that would cause the system not to boot up properly.  It would stop halfway, ask to reboot, and then change back to the defaults in the kernel.

Edward Baichtal
edwardb@AirLink.com
http://www.airlink.com