Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 19:48:31 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-security@rikrose.net
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: philosophical question...

* freebsd-security@rikrose.net <freebsd-security@rikrose.net> [011201 19:09] wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, Colin Percival wrote:
> > >Seems like an OpenBSD feature :P
>
> >    Still, I have to agree that this sounds pretty OpenBSDish... looking at
> > the BSDs as a whole I'd say it would make sense for this to be added into
> > OpenBSD first and ported to FreeBSD once it has proved itself.
>
> Anyone mind if I start a discussion about encrypted swap? I know I had the
> option under OpenBSD (and yes, it was on), but I still don't understand
> the implications.

The implication is that when a program that stores sensative
information is swapped out to disk and the machine is rebooted or
has the disk removed, the information can not be easily just lifted
off the swap partition.

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3