Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 18:02:05 +0100
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <ml@seeberg.dk>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Compaq RAID controller never in the handbook?

> Compaq controllers are intended by Compaq to only be used in Compaq
> servers.  Under some circumstances you might get lucky otherwise, but as a
> general rule you can forget using them in any other system.

I´ve never had a non-Compaq system that wouldn´t accept my Smart2
controller.

All you need to do is download the SP6263 from the compaq website, create 2
floppies, and then you can boot of these 2 floppies to configure the RAID
controller.

I tried contacting the freebsd-doc mailinglist, because I wanted to make
some notes on how to use the Compaq equipment in Compaq servers and non
Compaq servers, but noone answered my letters, so I guess its not
interesting to get such an add-on to the faq or handbook.

I would then explain how to install BSD onto the controller, how to
configure the controller on non CPQ systems, and later try to make a package
wheneven I managed to get the Array config utility to work under fx wine.