Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 1996 09:34:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EDO parit RAM (Was Re: Tyan ...)

> } > What's wrong with ECC mode only memory?  Where can you find parity
> }
> } 15% loss of performance if I remember well. See the archives of the list.
> }
>
> That seems doubtful.  How about 15% on main memory accesses -- most
> accesses are from cache.

>From my testing on ASUS PCI/I-P55T2P4 Intel 430HX based boards it was
infact a 12% degrade in -MEMORY- intensive benchmarks, infact the same
benchmarks I used to find the 1% EDO speed up showed the 12% ECC slow
down.  This would tend to indicate that the slow down in the main
memory system is significant when running in ECC mode, far more than
one would expect.

> This sounds like the EDO gain that turned out to be 1%.

Except that both where measured using the same set of tests, and thus
the 15% (12% was my result) is real system performance loss.

Accurate Automation, Inc.                   Reliable computers for FreeBSD