Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 2002 20:22:18 -0800
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ciss driver and tagged queuing

> > If you were really masochistic, you could probably get all of Compaq's
> > monitoring goo for your machine running under Linux emulation, but I
> > suspect it'd be a job of work.
>
> What sort of hardware is on these controllers anyway?  (i.e. what kind of
> processor, do they have a parity engine, etc.)

"it varies"  I've heard tales of at least three different hardware
platforms; I have two myself, one is the LSI 1015 (dual U160 + ARM7 on a
chip), the other is a custom Compaq blob which is, I think, a PowerPC,
and some variants of this I've seen have other Compaq blobs which could
well include a parity engine.

As controllers go, they seem to be a bit of a mixed bag.  Basic behaviour
and performance isn't abominable (though as you've pointed out, I appear
to be letting them down badly), but from what the Y! people have said,
some units behave differently from others. 8/

--
To announce that there must be no criticism of the president,
or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not