Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 1996 15:51:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        pgiffuni@biblioteca.campus.unal.edu.co (Pedro Giffuni)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Non-system disk error

> Hello:
> Installing fbsd on two computers that are exactly equal, same brand, same
> size, etc... one gives me the nasty message:
>
> Missing Operating System.
>
> while the other one is O.K.

Error:		"Missing Operating System"

		saw that no partitions were marked active.

Cause 1:	No partitions are marked active (user error).

Workaround 1:	Boot a DOS boot disk and run fdisk.  Mark a partition
		active.  Reboot from the hard drive to get the selected
		OS.

Cause 2:	Installation of boot manager was selected when FreeBSD
		was being installed on the second disk (installer did
		not read installation instructions).  Happens because
		there is no BSD disk on the first drive to mark active
		after everything is marked inactive.

Workaround 2:	Boot a DOS boot disk and run fdisk.  Mark a partition
		active.  Reboot from the hard drive to get the boot
		manager.

Cause 3:	Installation of boot manager was selected when FreeBSD
		was being installed on the second disk (installer did
		not read installation instructions) and OnTrack or
		other INT-13 redirecting LBA boot-sector TSR is in use.
		Happens because the boot manager has overwritten the
		OnTrack (or other) boot code.

Workaround 3:	Reinstall OnTRack or other INT-13 redirecting boot-sector
		TSR using disk which came with machine/drive.  Do *NOT*
		overwrite partition table (which is undamaged).  If boot
		selector is desired, boot DOS from hard drive and use
		DOS installation program to install boot selector.

Overall fix:	Make the FreeBSD install less stupid when it comes to
		installing FreeBSD on the second drive.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---