Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:49:44 -0600
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   excessive paranoia in syslogd(8)?

Is it just me or does 'syslogd -s' exhibit just a little bit too
much paranoia about allowing socket connections?  I was futzing
with a Perl script that needed to syslog(3) some stuff and after
much hair pulling I realized that 'syslogd -s' didn't even allow
connections from localhost.  Apparently Perl opens a socket
connection to syslog and with the '-s' syslogd doesn't read from
socket connections either from localhost or from hosts specified
with -a.  This is a bad thing IMHO.  Either I open syslogd up to
all socket connections (including from localhost) or I can't use
syslog from Perl.

-steve