Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:00:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        drwho@xnet.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alt key in text mode...

>Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:12:03 -0500
>From: "M. Maxwell" <drwho@xnet.com>

>Ok, I'm getting a little irritated about this one.

>I need to get the Alt key to work in text mode.  Right now, I try typing:

>  Alt+BackSpace

>Nothing happens.

It *might* be of some use if you were to mention what precisely what
behavior you were wanting/expecting from that particular key combination.

After all, the VT-100s I've seen don't even *have* an "Alt" key.

>Instead, I have to hit escape, backspace.

Well, that would accomplish an "escape sequence," which may or may not
have any relation to anything else.

>Not only is it annoying, but in Emacs, the annoyance becomes a problem.

I'll take your word for it; I've never had a desire to use Emacs.

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621