Date:      Thu, 03 Jul 1997 07:21:01 GMT
From:      dburr@POBoxes.com (Donald Burr)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   weird gcc error?

I've been having some weird problems with GCC lately.  This is on a
stock FreeBSD 2.2.2 system.  The GCC version is 2.7.2.1.  I usually
compile with "-O2 -m486"  The machine is a clone 486DX2/66 I slapped
together out of spare parts.

Anyway, here is the problem:  When compiling large programs, the
compile sometimes stops with an error.  usually the error is something
like "parse error before '}'" but I remember one time when it was
something else (can't remember what the error was at that time,
though).  The weird thing is, there IS no error (when I read the file,
it looks like perfectly good C syntax to me), and, if I run 'make' and
recompile that file WITHOUT CHANGING IT, it works fine!

Other than this, the machine is working perfectly.  I often have it up
and doing stuff for hours, sometimes days at a time, and there haven't
been any other errors to speak of.

So is this a gcc bug?  Is anyone else having this type of trouble?  Is
there a patch for it?

Please let me know, pref. by email.  Thanks!
--
Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to