Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 2000 07:51:38 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Mark Hummel <mhumm@ispchannel.com>
Cc:        "Andresen,Jason R." <jandrese@mitre.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Something's Wrong - 4.1 FTP install - please help!!!

Mark Hummel wrote:

> Jason and all,
>
> I've tried all download (ftp, ftp passive, ftp via http proxy) options
> to no avail.  A guru/friend of mine believes it's a hostname problem (I
> use a cable modem) and explained nslookup to me.  I did an nslookup on
> my IP Address on two different days and got two different hostnames.
> What's that tell me?  Obviously my host name (assigned by my ISP changes
> from day to day)  Anyway even when I used the correct hostname (for that
> day), I got the same results.

If you do a "whois ispchannel.com" you get two DNS servers. They are

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.ISPCHANNEL.COM            208.163.60.10
NS2.ISPCHANNEL.COM           208.163.60.7

You need both in your resolv.conf. That doesn't help the ftp upload. I
don't have any idea there.

Kent

> Mark
>
> "Andresen,Jason R." wrote:
> >
> > Mark Hummel wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone else experienced this or know what I'm doing wrong if
> > > anything?  My BSD system is down until I get this resolved.
> >
> > Do you have the ftp client set to passive mode?  You may have some sort
> > of firewall blocking FTP traffic somewhere along the way.  Try setting
> > the client to passive mode and see if that helps.
> >
> > --
> >   / \/ \  | ||_ _||  _ \|___| | Jason Andresen -- jandrese@mitre.org
> >  / /\/\ \ | | | | | |/ /|_|_  | Views expressed may not reflect those
> > /_/    \_\|_| |_| |_|\_\|___| | of the Mitre Corporation.

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com