Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:41:10 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
To:        Stephen Hocking <shocking@houston.rr.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, sage-au@sage-au.org.au
Subject:   Re: Script kiddies and their port scans

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Stephen Hocking wrote:

> Checking the firewall logs I see various attempts to connect to rather unusual
> ports on my box - does anyone now what the following are?
>

> 27374

Sub7 trojan

> 1243

Probably Sub7, some other backdoor tools too

> 98 - This comes up as TACNEWS in /etc/services

Linuxconf. Many script kiddies look specifically for Linux boxen.

> 143 imap2

IMAP is, well IMAP.

hth

-ac

Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157
WebNet Memphis                                  (901) 432 6000
Author, The Book of IRC              http://www.bookofirc.com/