Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 14:40:14 +0100
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        furuta@sra.co.jp, hosokawa@ntc.keio.ac.jp
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Which LAN PCCARD for FreeBSD (no PAO!)

These are actually very inaccurate points regarding new-bus.

> 	* We already have a framework "subr_autoconf.c".
> 	  It is not needed to invent new wheel.

I think actually the whole point was that a "new wheel" was needed to
support dynamic handling of devices.

> 	* new-bus does not provide to "priority probe" feature.

No, but we have talked about supporting this on the new-bus list.

> 	* new-bus remains old config(8) and old bus such as ISA.
> 	  What we need is the reformation of them, so we can not
> 	  adopt it.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. It does currently use the existig
config(8) but that is not central to the issue of new-bus. As the work gets
completed the aim is to make the handling of devices totally dynamic. What
role the current static oriented config(8) will play isn't completely
determined.

> 	* There is no framework to separate bus-dependent part
> 	  of a driver from bus-independent part in new-bus,
> 	  but newconfig has. Many PC-card driver shares core code from
> 	  another buses, so we reuqire such a framework.

That's not true, this is an area where new-bus already has everything well
established.

> 	* new-bus scatters device tree structure informations into
> 	  each driver codes. Aproach to center the informations
> is better
> 	  than scatter it. (Please imagine "LINT" file informations are
> 	  scattered to each driver.)

I don't really understand what you mean by this either. What device tree
structure information are you referring to? In any case, you're approach of
using a central information source (e.g. LINT) fails to take into account
the dynamic nature of new-bus and it's ability to support third-party
supplied drivers. These drivers would need to be self-contained since they
are not developed by the project but by some third party and would need to
be able to install itself without changes to the installed system.

I think there is clear misunderstanding as to what new-bus is and why the
project is so keen to pursue that direction.

Paul.