Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 17:18:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd vs ijppp

> >> What i meant is that setup is not nearly as important as passing
> >> packets, which is the bottom line here. The fact that most people feel
> >> that they need 133Mhz pentiums to run a few modems over a 56k link
> >> says something about the overhead in the software they're using, and
> >> the importance of performance.
> >
> >Then what in the heck are you arguing about?  You claimed that we should
> >add all of the features in ijppp back into the kernel-mode ppp.  If you
> >*do* know what you are talking about, then why do you want to stuff all
> >of the user-level stuff into the kernel, such as built-in dial
> >capabilities, routing, dial-on-demand, etc...?
>
> When ever did i say that? I suggested that the benefits offered by pppij be
> added to pppd so that the kernel level ppp could be used.

And those benefits offered in ijppp vs. kernel ppp that you want would
be?  Having used both, the only features that it can do which I feel
should go in the kernel is 'Predictor-1' compression.  All of the others
don't belong in the kernel.  What features do you want, because there
must be something else you wouldn't be clamoring for them.

> Much of that
> functonality can remain in the pppd user process....but running ppp through
> a tunnel device is preposterous. Theres a separation of functionality, no
> question, but the datacomm belongs in the kernel....period.

I guess we'd better tell MorningStar that as well.  As I understand it,
they *only* sell PPP software/hardware, and they can't fill the number
of orders they have.  They are growing so fast they can't keep up.  And,
they *only* sell tunnel devices drivers. :)

Nate