Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 2016 15:29:50 +1100
From:      Anders Jensen-Waud <anders@jensenwaud.com>
To:        Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrating ZFS on Linux pools to FreeBSD

> On 4 Feb 2016, at 11:01, Ruben Schade <newsgroups@rubenschade.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi everyone,
>=20
> I'm migrating a home HP Gen8 Microserver from Debian Jessie to FreeBSD 10.=
2. I have two mirrored ZFS pools created with the ZFS on Linux port, and wan=
t to access them on FreeBSD.
>=20
> I understand FreeBSD's ZFS implementation is more mature and pre-dates the=
 Linux port, and some web searches indicate the two may not be entirely comp=
atible. Most recommendations seem to be not to run Linux and FreeBSD off the=
 same pools, for example:
>=20
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/installing-freebsd-in-an-existing-zfs-p=
ool.54831/
>=20
> Does the same hold true for just data stores, and ones that are being migr=
ated over without being accessed by Linux again? Are there any practical lim=
itations to just using a ZFS pool created on Linux?

Technically no, but I would boot a FreeBSD live CD first and import / attach=
 the pool. Generally, ZFS on Linux is typically a few feature flags behind Fre=
eBSD, so there shouldn't be any issues with doing this.
>=20
> If there=E2=80=99s reasonable doubt of issues I'll just rebuilt the pools u=
nder FreeBSD, but would be great if I didn't need to do that. It'd be cool i=
f it=E2=80=99s just a # zpool upgrade away hah :)

That should do the trick, but bear in mind it will be hard (read: impossible=
) to go the other way once upgraded.=20

Anders=20