Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2002 20:23:54 -0400
From:      Lawrence Sica <lomifeh@earthlink.net>
To:        Bob Bomar <bulldog@fxp.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

On Wednesday, September 11, 2002, at 07:27  PM, Bob Bomar wrote:

> I am writeing a paper on the diffrences of various
> Operating Systems.  Mainly I am looking at Windows
> and Unix and Unix-Like operating systems, and Windows
> and Mac OS X.
>
> I am looking to gather information on how and why people
> choose an OS.  I am also looking to gather information on
> why other OS's were not choosen.
>
> Any opinions are appreciated.
>
> In my opinion, as a server, FreeBSD is a great choice.
> It is fast, reliable, and very well built.  But as a
> desktop choice, it leaves a little to be desired.
> Windows, IMHO will remain a main desktop choice for
> a long while, but I do belive that alternative OS's
> such as FreeBSD, Solaris, Linux, and other will become
> more and more popular.  As I have been going through
> a UNIX course at a local college, I have come to
> appreciate Solaris.
>
> I appreciate any comments that any one has to offer.

Well on the desktop I mainly use OSX nowadays.  Reason why i switched
was I needed a laptop at the time.  And OSX allows me to do things via
a term window, doing unixy things and I can get commercial apps.  So it
satisifes both my needs, from a professional and a personal standpoint.
  I can program, do troubleshooting, and play games and use MS Office
for example.

Apple has been gaining some market share lately.  Will the overtake all
in 5 years?  I doubt it, but they will gain share I think, especially
in more traditional unix workstation roles imho.  This seems a likely
trend from listening to some vendors and reading some articles with
interviews with various people.

Solaris has the best chance, but I think they will remain focused on
the server and high-end workstation market.  And use Linux to draw
people in.

Just my 2 cents...

--Larry