Date:      Tue, 19 Aug 2008 17:51:11 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Christopher Joyner <chris27wjoyner@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Is it possible to run i386 only, on a amd64 freebsd 7?

Christopher Joyner wrote:
 > Ok I see, I understand that I am able to run i386 software on my amd64 (Pentium D).
 >
 > Because of the error message i386 only, how do I make it install?
 > Do I use a force switch?
 > I am going to try some things after posting this.

You didn't mention that you want to build a i386-only port.
The easiest way to circumvent that restriction is to down-
load the i386 package of that port and install it.

Whether you can make that work depends on what kind of port
it is.

If you tell us *what* software you're actualy trying to
install, we might be able to provide further assistance.

Best regards
   Oliver

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.  However, this
is not necessarily a good idea.  It is hard to be sure where
they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting
under them as they fly overhead." -- RFC 1925