Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 1996 07:08:36 +0000 ()
From:      Steve <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Kim Perkins <kperkins@hub.strathcona.vic.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root Password

I did this very thing last night when I installed a new box.

When you see the boot: prompt type:
/kernel.GENERIC -s

It will come up in standalone and tell you to press enter for a shell.
Do so - it puts you at a # prompt.

You then need to remount / so that its read/write:

/sbin/mount /

Then you need to look in fstab to see what is normally mounted on /usr if
it is not on the same partition as / and mount that:

/sbin/mount /dev/something /usr

Then you should be able to type:

passwd

To set a new passwd - afterwards shut down right away!