Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 1996 21:14:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Base tree bloating (Was: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.)

As sos@freebsd.org wrote:

> > 	Perl 5 should remain a port.
>
> Amen!!

Bemen. :)

Nope, we should seek a better solution.  Perl 4 is unsupported, and
suffers from some bugs.  We better might find a way to update it by
Perl 5, but with still leaving most of the bloat in an optional port.
I haven't looked into it yet, but i think of a Perl in the base system
with about the same functionality as Perl 4 has right now, and an
additional port that contains all that various module stuff etc.

j@uriah 78% du -sk /usr/local/lib/perl5
2687    /usr/local/lib/perl5
j@uriah 79% du -sk /usr/share/perl
669     /usr/share/perl

> > 	More work towards  modularity, i.e.: rewrite adduser  et al in  sh.
> > 	We don't need SosBSD :-)))
>
> I have looked at the perl junk we have in the tree, all of it could be
> rewritten in a very short time....

Ick.  Of course.  We could also whack everything in C, or revert the
entire system back to the V7 level.  Jordan doesn't need to write his
new sysinstall in Tcl, either. ;-)

The utilities that are now written in Perl are certainly good
candidates for it as they stand.  Their effectivity is probably as
good as with a C program.  Moving all of this back to sh/sed/awk will
drastically lose performance on several parts of the stuff (think of
all the `locate' crap that used to be there before).

We should agree that a modern system might come with modern tools, and
rather seek to reduce the bloat to a fair limit.  E.g., Tcl is there
in the base system without Tk, you ought to install the latter from a
port.

--
cheers, J"org