Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 15:32:05 +0000
From:      "Danny Carroll" <dannycarroll@hotmail.com>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   IPFW, natd and an internal FTP server.

Hello,

I know this question has been covered before in many different ways, but I
can't seem to find the solution I am looking for.

Here is my situation.

machine guard is the firewall / natd server on a dedicated internet line.
machine app is the web/ftp server let's say it runs win2k.  This machine is
on an internal (192.168) network and the firewall's natd diverts web/ftp
stuff almost brilliantly.

The firewall works fine for active FTP (server initiated data connections).

If I configure my FTP server to use passive ports in a limited range and
allow those ports specifically then all is well.

But I want to be a little more secure.  So I tried using punch_fw to add the
rules dynamically.  I figured if it works for active clients, it must work
for passive servers?

Am I wrong in this assumption or have I screwed something up?
Also, will I see the rules inserted into the ipfw list or are they hidden
for some reason?

Thanks in advance.
-D