Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 02:20:34 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mysterious boot during the night

Gary writes:

> As a 9-month user, I'd confidently say MAYBE.
> It depends on how well RELEASE works for you,
> and how you trade off the benefits of new
> features against the risk of problems, no?

At present it seems to work just fine, and thus far I have no hard evidence to
indicate that my mysterious reboot had anything to do with a bug in RELEASE that
would be fixed in any other version.

> The words that you replied to seem to be CYA
> verbiage which reflects the fact that STABLE
> has not always been well tested as a released
> "product" (sometimes hardly at all) and might
> occasionally not work well, or not at all.

Well, at this early stage in my experience with FreeBSD, I prefer something that
I don't have to debug.

> But, as you've probably noticed by now, a common
> (for good reason) reply to reports of problems
> is "use the latest STABLE" (sometimes followed by
> "before reporting problems").

Yes, that's what we used to say in technical support, too.  It means "I don't
know what's wrong."

> Be glad that you at least have a choice.

Most software gives you a choice.  Even commercial products have endless updates
to fix things, and typically more than one full release is supported at a time.

I usually tend to stay with a version that appears to work unless some truly
compelling reason to "upgrade" presents itself, such as a constant, serious bug
causing problems with my production, or some new functionality that I cannot do
without.  I don't upgrade to more recent versions simply in the vague hope that
some vague problem I've seen might go away with the upgrade.  More often than
not, new problems come with the upgrade that more than negate the value thereof
in fixing the original problem, if any.