Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:00:02 +0200 (IST)
From:      Roman Shterenzon <roman@xpert.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stable branch

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Brett Glass wrote:

> Perhaps this should be formalized as three branches:
>
> Branch  name:           Bug/security    New features?   "Breakable" for
>                        fixes?                           a day or more?
>
> -PRODUCTION             YES             NO              NO
>
> -STABLE                 YES             YES, PREFERABLY NO
>                                         AFTER TESTING
>                                         IN -CURRENT
>
> -DEVELOPMENT           YES              YES             YES
> (formerly -CURRENT)
>
> What do you think of this as a model for what people seem to be
> asking for?

There's too much effort has to be done to maintain three branches.
The stable branch should be stable like the name implies, and it's stable
most of the time. I just think that committers have to be a bit more
carefull when bringing in new features. I still cannot forget the
DMA/iso9660 breakage :(
The stable should be great for production, and, don't forget the simple
rule - if your system works fine with 0.99alpha version of some software
there's absolutely no reason to upgrade or "track" some branch.
So, if the security is not important (I cannot belive I'm saying it in the
freebsd-security list) then you can just stick with the release you've
installed (of course if it works fine), if the security does matter, then
you apply the security fixes by hand and stay cool.

Just my 0.02$

P.S. What does it have to do with freebsd-security anyway?!

--Roman Shterenzon, UNIX System Administrator and Consultant
[ Xpert UNIX Systems Ltd., Herzlia, Israel. Tel: +972-9-9522361 ]